Many high school students across the United States take the ACT in preparation for college.
Number of ACT-Tested High School Graduates, 2013
- 1,799,243 students from the high school graduating class of 2013 took the ACT.
- Just over half (52%) of all ACT-tested high school graduates live in 9 states: CA, CO, FL, IL, MI, NC, OH, TN, and TX.
- Of the 9 states with the most ACT-tested high school graduates, 5 states (CO, IL, MI, NC, and TN) administered the ACT statewide to all public high school 11th graders.
Map reads: In Florida, more than 100,000 students from the high school graduating class of 2013 took the ACT.
|State||Number of ACT-Tested High School Graduates|
|California||100,001 or more|
|District of Columbia||1–10,000|
|Florida||100,001 or more|
|Illinois||100,001 or more|
|Michigan||100,001 or more|
|Texas||100,001 or more|
Percent of High School Graduates Who Took the ACT, 2013
- Nationally, more than half (54%) of all students from the high school graduating class of 2013 took the ACT.
- High school graduates in 10 states (CO, IL, KY, LA, MI, NC, ND, TN, UT, and WY) participated in a statewide administration of the ACT during 11th grade.
- Several states, including CA, NY, and TX, had both a sizable number of ACT-tested high school graduates and a relatively low ACT participation rate.
Map reads: In Texas, 26%–50% of the high school graduating class of 2013 took the ACT.
|State||Percent Who Took the ACT|
|Delaware||25% or less|
|District of Columbia||26%–50%|
|Maine||25% or less|
|Maryland||25% or less|
|Massachusetts||25% or less|
|New Hampshire||25% or less|
|New Jersey||25% or less|
|North Carolina||Statewide (100%)|
|North Dakota||Statewide (100%)|
|Pennsylvania||25% or less|
|Rhode Island||25% or less|
|Washington||25% or less|