- ATB Testing Requirements for COMPASS and ESL Tests in COMPASS (July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012; July 1, 2012 and beyond)
- COMPASS (and ESL) ATB Test Administration Certification Process
- All individuals who administer the COMPASS tests (or the ESL tests in COMPASS) for ATB purposes must be certified by ACT and pass a COMPASS ATB Test Administration Knowledge Test to be eligible to conduct ATB testing sessionsfor students who will later use the results as part of their Ability-to-Benefit eligibility requirements for accessing Federal Title IV Financial Aid grants or loans.
This certification process requires completion and submission to ACT of an Application for Certification as a COMPASS ATB Test Administrator and successful completion of a COMPASS Test Administrator Knowledge Test. Certified individuals will then receive a COMPASS ATB Test Administrator Certificate from ACT, which qualifies the individual to serve as a COMPASS/ESL ATB Test Administrator.
- To become certified as a COMPASS or ESL ATB Test Administrator, begin the process by completing the COMPASS/ESL Ability To Benefit Test Administrator Application (online).
- Top Ten (10) Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (PDF; 3 pages, 35KB)
- Updated June 1, 2011; includes information about the process for completing the Application for Certification
- COMPASS ATB Test Administration Manual (PDF; 24 pages, 140KB)
- June 10, 2011 edition; contains specific requirements for ATB test administration procedures and details regarding the COMPASS and ESL Test Packages required to be used for Ability-to-Benefit testing; updated June 16, 2011 to include Attachment A: COMPASS ATB Data Release Item
- COMPASS/ESL ATB Student and Test Administrator Identification Form (PDF; 1 page, 32KB)
- This form must be completed at time of testing for each ATB test (COMPASS or ESL) administered by the institution, requiring the gathering of individual student identifying information (and signature) from the examinee and the entry of Certified COMPASS/ESL Test Administrator information (and signature) by the certified test administrator delivering the testing to the examinee.
The form may be copied as needed. Some entries (such Institution Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip, Institution Telephone Number, Test Administrator's Printed Name, and Test Administrator's ID Number) may be pre-filled.
The Student Information (ID Number, Printed Name, Signature, Test Date) and Certified Test Administrator's Signature and Test Date (all noted with an *) must be original and completed in colored ink (red, blue, green; cannot be black ink).
The form also includes initial instructions for how to deliver the required information to ACT as part of the U.S. Department of Education Ability to Benefit financial aid regulations, which are in effect as of July 1, 2011 (different procedures for "assessment centers" and for use by Independent Test Administrators at "sites not qualifying as an assessment center").
- Procedures for Preparing and Returning the COMPASS and ESL ATB Certification Testing Information File to ACT (PDF; 2 pages, 18KB)
- These instructions describe the final steps required for institutions that meet the US DOE requirements for qualifying as "an ATB Assessment Center." Note: All ATB Data Reports for the period of July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 must be returned to ACT by July 31, 2012. Reports for each quarter (July-September; October-December; January-March; April-June) in the period of July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013 must be returned to ACT by the end of the month following the end of each quarter.
Students may qualify for eligibility for ATB access to Federal Title IV Financial Aid programs by exceeding the minimum score levels on the appropriate tests and completing specified additional demographic items within the required COMPASS or ESL test packages.
Minimum COMPASS Score Achievement Requirements for ATB Students
(Effective for students tested June 19, 2002, and beyond)
|Test||ATB Minimum Score|
Note: Students must achieve or exceed these minimum scores in each COMPASS test.
Minimum ATB Qualifying Scores for the ESL Tests in the COMPASS System
(Effective for students tested May 19, 2006, and beyond)
|Test||ATB Minimum Score|
Note: Students must achieve or exceed these minimum scores in each ESL test.
Note: It is the responsibility of the institution to comply fully with the requirements as specified in the Federal Register. ACT cannot make this judgment for an institution.