COMPASS® for Windows Installation Guide for Windows® XP
(Revised January 2007)
- Log on to the Windows® 2003 Server as an Administrator.
- Access the Microsoft Management Console by clicking Start > Administrative Tools > Computer Management or by right-clicking on the My Computer icon on your desktop and selecting "Manage."
the left-hand windowpane: Select and expand (double-click) Local Users and Groups
as shown below.
- In the left-hand windowpane: Select Groups and then right-click to select "New Group…" from the menu.
- Create two new groups:
- COMPASS-Directors (these members will be able to modify and change the COMPASS program)
- COMPASS-Testing (these members will be able to administer tests and take tests)
- In the left-hand windowpane: Select Users and right-click and select "New User…" Add the user name, and then add that user to either the COMPASS-Directors or COMPASS-Testing group.
folder you should now see the user you
created in the right-hand windowpane.
the user you just created and double click. Select the Member Of
tab and click the Add… button. Enter the Group name for either COMPASS-Directors or COMPASS-Testing. For example, the graphic below shows
a user that would belong to the COMPASS-Directors.
- Check Names. This should display the correct group or groups. Select OK to accept changes and close the window.
- Start > My Computer.
- Double-click on the drive letter you wish to install COMPASS. (For example, C:\ drive).
- In the C: folder, create a directory called Apps. The directory path should now be C:\Apps.
- Right-click on the directory you just created and go to Properties.
- Select the Sharing Tab.
on the Share this Folder radio button as
- Accept the default Share name of Apps.
- Left-click on Permissions.
- This should bring up the Permissions for Apps window.
- Click Add. This will display the Select Users or Groups window.
- Type in the user groups created in Steps 2–10. For example, COMPASS-Directors, COMPASS-Testing.
- Click Check Names.
- The two groups should display in the text box.
- Click OK. This will close the Select Users or Groups window.
- You should now see the Permissions for Apps window. The two user groups should be displayed. Left-click on COMPASS Directors and COMPASS-Testers and ensure that "Full-Control" is selected.
- If the permissions are set correctly, click OK to close the Permissions for Apps window.
- Click OK to close the Apps Properties window.
- Log off the Windows® 2003 Server.
- Log in to a Windows® XP Pro Workstation as an Administrator.
- Open My Computer by selecting Start > My Computer.
- Select Tools > Map Network Drive…. This will bring up the Map Network Drive window as shown below. You can map the drive to any drive letter in the drop-down menu. For this example, the server
name is COMPASS-Server and the shared folder name is apps. Make sure you deselect Reconnect at logon field,
and then click Finish. Log in to the server using a valid administrator account to complete setup of the Network Drive.
- Insert the COMPASS/ESL CD into the workstation's CD-ROM drive.
- Click the Start button and select "Run "
- Browse to your CD-ROM drive and double-click on the setup.exe file. Then click OK.
- At the Choose Destination Location screen, click Browse.
the Choose Folder
window as seen in the image below, change the default drive letter from
C:\COMPASS to the drive letter you made in step 30. In our example
it is T:\COMPASS. Select OK.
the Choose Destination Location window, you should now see T:\COMPASS as shown
- Click Next to continue.
- At the Setup Type screen, select the type of install you would like. Select either "COMPASS/ESL with Sound" or "COMPASS/ESL without Sound". Click Next to continue.
- Click Next at the Select Program Folder screen.
- The Start Copying Files screen will provide a summary of your installation. If the summary is correct, click Next to continue.
- The program will begin to copy files from the CD to your network share. When it has completed copying the files, the Setup Complete screen will appear. Read this screen and click Finish to complete the installation.
At this point you should proceed to Assigning Rights to the appropriate directories.
- Log back into the Windows® 2003 Server as an Administrator.
- Click Start > My Computer.
- Double-click on the C:\ hard drive and then double-click on the Apps directory. Right-click the C:\Apps\COMPASS folder and choose "Properties".
- Select the Security Tab and click the Add button.
- Type in the groups you added earlier for COMPASS-Directors and COMPASS-Testing.
- Click Check Names.
- Click OK.
- Modify each of the directories so the permissions match the table by adding COMPASS-Directors and COMPASS-Testing
to each of the folders:
- F = Full Control
- M = Modify
- RX = Read and Execute
- L = List Folder contents
- R = Read
- W = Write
For more information on how to set directory permissions on a Windows® 2003 or Windows® 2000 Server, refer to the table below.
|Server Directory structure||COMPASS-Directors||COMPASS-Testing|
|.\COMPASS||M, RX, L, R, W||RX, L, R, W|
|.\COMPASS\Assist||RX, L, R||RX, L, R|
|.\COMPASS\Awl||RX, L, R||RX, L, R|
|.\COMPASS\bin||RX, L, R||RX, L, R|
|.\COMPASS\ReadOnly||RX, L, R, W||RX, L, R, W|
|.\COMPASS\ReadWrit||RX, L, R, W||RX, L, R, W|
|.\COMPASS\SSR||M, RX, L, R, W||M, RX, L, R, W|
|.\COMPASS\Temp||M, RX, L, R, W||M, RX, L, R, W|