- Improving College & Career Readiness
- About This Report
- College Readiness
- Educational/Career Aspirations
- Access & Preparation
- Academic Performance
- A First Look at STEM
- Looking Back at the Class of 2012
- Academic Achievement & Academic Behaviors
- Policies & Practices to Increase Readiness
- 2013 ACT National and State Scores
ACT Scores Over Time
Test scores dropped slightly between 2009 and 2013, with most of the decrease seen in 2013. About 22% more high school students took the ACT over this period, and the tested population of students became more diverse.
ACT Composite score averages ranged between 21.1 and 20.9 points during this time. The four subject score averages (English, Reading, Mathematics, and Science) showed similar changes in absolute value.
Average ACT Scores, 2009–2013
Graph reads: Between 2009 and 2013, the average ACT Reading score for all high school graduates decreased slightly from 21.4 to 21.1.